The agency said the sale includes modernization and upgrades to Aegis systems on two Atago-class destroyers with the goal of updating ballistic missile defense capabilities.
The sale includes:
- a weapon system computer program
- two radar signal processors
- two display consoles
- two wall screen and projector systems
- two video distribution systems
- two operational readiness testing systems
- two ship-board electro-optic sensor systems
- guns and launchers
According to Reuters, Congress has 30 days to block the transaction but such action is rare.