- Space Force awards Northrop $398M SATCOM satellite prototype contract
- The program aims to strengthen communications in contested environments
- The award reflects the Pentagon’s push for faster space acquisition models
The Space Force has awarded Northrop Grumman a $398 million contract to develop a next-generation protected tactical communications satellite prototype designed to support military operations in heavily contested environments.
The firm-fixed-price award covers development and launch and on-orbit support for the Enhanced Protected Tactical Satellite Communications–Prototype, or Enhanced PTS-P, with deployment targeted no earlier than fiscal year 2030, the Space Systems Command said Friday.
Enhanced PTS-P and other space-related priorities will be discussed at the Potomac Officers Club’s 2026 Air and Space Summit on July 30, where senior Department of War, Air Force and Space Force leaders will examine next-generation military space technologies, resilient architectures and operational modernization strategies. Register now!
What Is the Enhanced PTS-P Program?
Enhanced PTS-P is intended to expand protected satellite communications for tactical users operating in denied or degraded environments where adversaries may attempt to jam or disrupt communications.
According to SSC, the prototype will use advanced antennas and onboard processing for the Protected Tactical Waveform, or PTW, to improve communications performance under jamming conditions.
The program falls under the Space Force’s satellite communications and positioning, navigation and timing portfolio and is managed by SSC’s System Delta 88.
“Enhanced PTS-P represents another important step in delivering more resilient, protected communications capabilities to the joint force,” said Erin Carper, acting Space Force portfolio acquisition executive for satellite communications and PNT. “This capability will help ensure tactical users can operate with greater confidence in contested environments.”
How Does the Contract Reflect Pentagon Acquisition Changes?
The award also reflects the Pentagon’s growing emphasis on faster and more flexible acquisition models for space and defense systems.
SSC said the program leverages follow-on other transaction authority contracting mechanisms and middle-tier acquisition authorities intended to accelerate prototyping and fielding timelines while emphasizing contractor accountability and affordability.
Northrop previously completed critical design reviews for related prototype work in 2021.
“Enhanced PTS-P pairs innovative technology with an acquisition approach designed to move faster and deliver protected SATCOM capabilities where they are needed most,” said Mozhdeh Najafabadi, PTS-P/R system program manager.
According to DOW, the contract was awarded on a sole-source basis. Initial obligations include $24 million in fiscal 2025 research and development funding and $78 million in fiscal 2026 R&D funding.
Work will be performed primarily in Redondo Beach, California, and Dulles, Virginia, through July 2030.
How Does This Fit Into Broader Space Force Modernization Efforts?
The award comes amid a broader expansion of Space Force investment in resilient space architectures, missile defense and next-generation space domain awareness systems.
Northrop was among 14 companies recently selected for the Air Force’s $1.8 billion Andromeda contract vehicle, which supports advanced space domain awareness and reconnaissance capabilities. The company also received an award under the Space Force’s Space-Based Interceptor initiative supporting the Pentagon’s Golden Dome missile defense architecture.














