The U.S. Army has issued a draft request for proposals for the initial design phase of the service branch’s optionally manned fighting vehicle (OMFV) under its relaunched competition to replace the Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle, the service announced Friday.
“As we continue to progress through the first phase of our five-phased approach for the OMFV program, communication, inclusive feedback and innovative thinking from industry remains key,” Maj. Gen. Brian Cummings, the Army’s program executive officer for ground combat systems, said in a statement.
The preliminary phase will be open for 40 days, with the intent to receive industry feedback prior to the final RFP. The final RFP will be announced in late 2020 and will award up to five design contracts in June 2021 to complete the next design phase.
In January, the Army announced it would relaunch the program to ensure more competition going forward. OMFV is the first large acquisition effort to come out of Army Futures Command. The draft RFP has stated: “To permit industry design freedom and promote innovation, the Army has avoided quantifying or prescribing critical levels of performance wherever possible.”
“We do not want to box industry into a solution,” Cummings said. “We want to incentivize industry as they lean forward and think creatively to bring the Army innovative technologies and solutions necessary to achieve our vision — both in terms of the ability to integrate newer technology we are seeing today and leaving space for future growth on the OMFV platform.”
Bruce Jette, assistant secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics, and Technology (ASA(ALT)) will serve as the keynote speaker to address the latest initiatives and modernization plans for the U.S. Army.
Join the event to hear from notable federal and industry leaders will discuss the progress, innovations and accomplishments of the Army’s modernization renaissance over the last year, what challenges remain, and how industry can help in 2021 and beyond.