The U.S. Air Force is looking into a potential splitting of work on the future presidential plane between Boeing (NYSE: BA) and other contractors as Pentagon acquisition chief Frank Kendall recently pushed for more competitive contracts.
Tony Capaccio reports Thursday for Bloomberg News that Kendall has noted a low contract competition rate at DoD and recommended a stricter process for sole-source procurement contracts.
Boeing made the current Air Force One, a Boeing 747-200 aircraft, but the report said the Air Force is considering assigning work on the basic aircraft or airframe to Boeing and the electronics and special components to others.
Capaccio notes that the Boeing 747-8 and Airbus A380 meet the identified Air Force requirements, but Airbus Group declined to bid last year.
Air Force spokesman Charles Gulick told Bloomberg the service will present its acquisition strategy for the replacement presidential aircraft later this year, issue a request for proposals in early 2015 and award the contract or contracts in 2016.