Mercom Capital Group has released a healthcare information technology report showing that venture capital funding for that sector reached a total of $2.2 billion in 2013, HIT Consultant Media reported Tuesday.
Jasmine Pennic writes the healthcare IT sector closed 571 deals in 2013, up from 163 in the previous year, and received $4 billion in funding since 2010.
There were 165 merger and acquisition deals last year, compared to 163 in 2012, while health information management firms closed 76 transactions in 2013.
Pennic lists the notable categories of funding in 2013 as follows:
- Mobile health companies with $564 million
- personal health providers with $198 million
- population health with $179 million
- social health with $166 million
- electronic medical records/electronic health records with $166 million
- practice management with $162 million